Friday, August 31, 2007

31 August 2007

It's 10 years since my heroine died tragically. And I still cry. It still feels like yesterday in some respects. But for me it is also an anniversary. So much has happened and changed in those ten years and the memorial service for Princess Diana seems to highlight that for me. Mum woke me up on that Sunday morning to tell me about the car accident in Paris and I cried all the way to Mabula on my way to beginning my job and a life in the bush. The end of an era in which I worshipped Diana and the start of a journey in which I could never have guessed the ending.
I've been the happiest and saddest and again the happiest in those 10 years - lost and found, lost again and en route to being 'found' again. I've met so many people who have changed my life and taught me so much - I've lived in and been to incredible places all over the world - Namibia and Ireland, Italy and Taiwan. The people I've met, the friendships I've renewed and started and lost have all made the last 10 years horrendous and incredible and truly enlightening. 10 years ago, I couldn't have predicted the outcome of my journey, nor would I have wanted to, as I would have turned back or jumped off!
I'm still looking for the role I'm to play in this life but at least I'm doing it with intention and purpose and open eyes - a huge leap from 10 years ago. I still miss Diana and some parts of me from 10 years ago, but I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to have moved on. (is that good English-who knows?)
I hope the next ten years will be no less eventful but filled with more grace and pleasures, and a little less trauma please.
Thank you all for sharing the last 10 years with me.

No comments: